Monday, May 16, 2011

I "Like" Mondays with Straw Bale Gardening - No Weeding, No Hoeing, No Tilling

Hybrid Tomatoes on Straw Bales
Here is my Monday Face Book Page Pick.  Straw Bale Gardening - No Weeding, No Hoeing, No Tilling, is an informative and interactive straw bale gardening page. I wasn't sure I was looking at a straw bale garden when I first came across the pictures, because the owner had neatly framed the bales with wood -- which is optional.

Straw Bale Gardening is a method used with -- you've guessed it, a bale of straw.  After curing your bales and giving them a thin layer of soil, you just plant your seeds or seedlings directly into the bale.  No weeding, no hoeing, no tilling.  Straw Bale gardening is a good alternative to soil, especially if you have poor soil or drainage problems.  Because it's elevated, it naturally helps to keep many pests out.  

If you've ever lived in the south, then you know what red dirt is.  Our red clay not only causes countless stains in my children's clothing -- it can also be difficult to garden with.  As I've heard various complaints over the years, I've always been put off to gardening...but perhaps Straw Bale Gardening is the solution.

If curiosity is getting the best of you, check out this fantastic page.  It's a wonderful place to start and get all your questions answered.  More information on Straw Bale Gardening can be found here.


No comments: