Wednesday, December 29, 2010

New Year Napkins - Swan Napkin Fold

Here is another one of my favorite Napkin Folds.  Swan hold a special memory in my heart.  I am probably one of the few people on earth who have had a 'herd' of swan take flight from several yards away on the ground to up and over my head.  They were probably only 8 feet above me, and as I looked up I could hear and see their magnificent strength and beauty.  I will always remember that glorious moment in the county of Cambridgeshire, England. 

Note:  I recommend using a fine paper napkin -- fabric is difficult on this one, as it ends up a bit too thick near the breast of the swan.


Step 1:  Start with a fine paper napkin prefolded into four.


Step 2:  Make a diagonal crease in napkin so we know where the center line is.


Step 3:  With your 4 points gathered at top, fold vertically, meeting center line.


Step 4:  Turn napkin over.


Step 5:  Fold edges vertically toward center.


Step 6:  Fold bottom point up to top.


Step 7:  Fold point about 1/3 down (making head).


Step 8:  Take outer edges and 'fold' swan in half.


Step 9:  Take hold of lower edges w/one hand and pull head out to angle desired.


Step 10:  Pinch head together and 'pull-up' and separate tail feathers.


Step 11:  Hold in place on plate by placing swan breast into outer spaces of fork.

See:  Boot Napkin Fold
See:  The Best Deviled Eggs - Appetizer 

If you enjoy napkin folding you may like to check out these titles from Powell's Books:  


         

No comments: